It's the first day of meteorological spring today, even though spring to all of us usually arrives mid day, the frequent sunny days and the lighter nights provide an increasing opportunity for a range of gardening tasks! It's time to get busy preparing seed beds, sowing seeds and cutting back winter shrubs and tidying the garden up.
We've created 10 top jobs to do this march!
1. Protect new spring shoots from slugs
2. Plant shallots, onion sets and early potatoes.
3.Plant summer flowering bulbs
4. Lift and divide overgrown clumps of perennials.
5. Top dress containers with fresh compost.
6. Mow the lawn on dry days (if needed)
7. Cut back Cornus (dogwood) and Salix (willow) grown for colourful winter stems.
8. Hoe and mulch weeds to keep them under control early.
9. Start feeding fish and using the pond fountain; remove pond heaters.