With the shortest day of the year approaching in December, you will need to start digging and tree pruning to keep warm outside. Check your winter protection and if you have a greenhouse make sure the heater is working. Hopefully there are not too many jobs left to do this year so you’ll have time for some fireside garden planning.
1. Check that winter protection structures are still securely in place
2. Check that greenhouse heaters are working
3. Insulate your outdoor taps and prevent ponds from freezing
4. Prune open-grown apples and pears (but not those trained against walls)
5. Prune acers, birches and vines before Christmas to avoid bleeding